Public Liability Insurance

Premiums from only £47.00
according to trade/experience

Apply Now Online

Public Liability Insurance for UK Businesses

Public liability insurance will be suitable for you if you run your own business and it is likely that you will come into contact with members of the public.

Contracting trades such as plumbers, carpet fitters, builders, and others; retailers or service providers such as fitness instructors or beauticians should consider public liability insurance against claims of negligence or accidental damage caused by them or their employees.

Cover My Business can provide an individual insurance quote for over a 100 different trades and services that will suit you and your budget providing the right cover requirements.

Call us on 03450 940 505 or complete our short application form for a Public Liability Insurance Quote and we will call you back.

You also have the option to extend your public liability policy to cover any potential liability to your employees.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Public Liability insurance?
Public Liability insurance covers your legal liability to pay damages to members of the public (but not to your employees) in the event of accidental property damage, death or bodily injury arising through your business activities.

How much cover do I need?
Some employers, such as Local Authorities, may insist that you have a certain level of cover before allowing you to carry out any work for them. If you do not they may not let you on site. If no limit is specified, you may choose your own level. In doing this, consider carefully the maximum claim that might be made against you.

What levels of cover are there?
We would normally suggest £1m to be an absolute minimum. We can also offer increased levels of £2m or £5m for most trades. Requests for levels above £5m are individually assessed.

Is Public Liability a legal requirement?
Generally speaking, no however, sometimes you might not be allowed on site or may have payment withheld unless adequate cover is in force. In any case, it is prudent business sense to make sure you are properly covered.

Are there any exclusions?
There are two types of exclusions.

  1. Standard: that apply to most if not all policies.
    Examples include:-
    • Risks that are more properly covered by another policy - such as liability for advice/design or motor vehicle liability.
    • Radioactive Contamination/Asbestos risks - self-explanatory.
    • War & Terrorism - beyond the scope of a Public Liability policy.
  2. Trade specific: These will vary according to your trade or business description.
    We will tell you what they are at quotation stage. For example, cover for a Ground-worker may exclude work below a certain depth.

Will I have to pay an excess?
This depends on a number of factors including business description, indemnity limit and your previous trade experience. If a compulsory excess applies we will tell you what it is when preparing your quote. Compulsory excesses help minimise small claims which may involve your Insurers in a disproportionate amount of work. You may also have the option of reducing your premium by taking an additional voluntary excess.

How is my premium calculated?
Quotes are calculated on either a 'per capita or on a payroll/turnover basis. You tell us how many people are involved in your business and/or the payroll/turnover, the level of cover you require and the premium is calculated accordingly. After the insurance policy has been issued you must tell us about any changes that may affect your policy. When we give you your quote we will tell you whether the premium is on a per capita or turnover basis.

I have more than one occupation. Can you still cover me?
Generally speaking we can still offer Public Liability cover on a multi-occupation basis. It is important that all your occupations are fully disclosed in your application.

Cover my Business is a trading name of F & R Associates, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FCA no. 450712

© 2021